Sunday, November 1, 2015

Blog Post 8

In education, I believe augmented reality has the largest threshold in terms of impact compared to the other forms of emerging technology.  I believe this has the most potential because it can relate to practically any subject on a majority of grade levels. The book provides examples such as apps that provide information on building which could be useful to architecture students, constellations for astronomy students, geographic information for archeology students, and the list goes on.     
Holograms can be used for instruction, as well.  Holograms are physical objects, structures or people create from refracted light which creates an image.  Holograms give students in wide variety of subject the opportunity to experience material in a more realistic and interactive manner.  Students in biology class could watch holograms of microscopic cell reproduction or English students could realistic Shakespeare plays.  These experiences would help students better understand and retain information.  In addition, holograms could be used in the situation of class guests like having Steve Jobs or Martin Luther King come in and speak.  

The digital divide is term addressing the topic of the accessibility of technology.  Despite it seeming as if everyone has smartphones and every home has a computer along with Internet connection, this is not the reality. The skills and knowledge that are come along with the use of technology that are available to some is the focus of the digital divide. I am on the fortunate side of the digital divide. Through the majority of my educational career, I had a computer with Internet connection.  In times when I did not, my mom was very dedicated to ensuring I had the tool I needed and would drive me to library.  In my future classroom, the use of computer will be every unavoidable. As students on the side of the divide who do not have the means begin to enter my classroom, I will do what I can to prepare for the technological world. The best way to address the issue is bring it up to the school board or a form of leadership and create a mandated solution guaranteeing the success of our students. I will advocate for affordable service such as Wi-Fi connections or reduced prices on laptops for students if they fit into certain yearly income range. 
http://www.emergingedtech.com/2012/11/7-ways-holographic-technology-will-make-learning-more-fun/

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Briana! The conversation about the digital divide is definitely something that needs to be addressed at the school board level.

    ReplyDelete