Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Blog Post 5

             

           Web 2.0 tools such as Prezi, YouTube, blogging platforms, Quizlet, social media, and sites such as Edmodo are useful tools for the classroom and progress as a teacher.  Not only can students learn and share new concepts via these tools, they begin to gain knowledge on the workings of technology. The podcast does mention these topics and leads me into the next piece.  As helpful as these tools may be, they can be equally hindering if not used with purpose and safety in mind.  These tactics often involve user-created content, meaning any number of this information found could be inaccurate or inappropriate.  In addition, the privacy of the students must be kept in mind while implementing these tools into the classroom.  Computer hardware necessary includes a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and system unit. In addition, an internet connection is crucial to the use of Web 2.0 tools.  Periphery equipment such as audio computer devices and projectors are necessary to display information to students and fully utilize Web 2.0 tools.
            A Web 2.0 tool I find interesting and used constantly throughout my high school career was Quizlet.  Quizlet is program where the user inputs information and it is translated into different forms such as flashcards, tests, and games to facilitate studying and information retention.  This is web-based tool so an Internet connection is necessary to use the program. In contrast, the website is very accessible in the fact that it can be used on a computer, tablet, or mobile device. This also students to bring their study materials with them practically anywhere.  The program I have described can be found at this link:  https://quizlet.com/
            When teaching, I would avidly incorporate Quizlet.  As an assignment, I would have student work in groups to create a Quizlet set based on a topic we are studying.  I would check the content for accuracy and then I would have the other groups in the class take a test on their peer’s Quizlet sets and then print email me their scores. This not only engages them in creation of content, but truly learning and understanding it. These sets will work as constant resource for studying, which they can use during mid-terms and finals.

            When creating a concept map, I learned how to format, create, and organize information into a visual within Microsoft Word.  I gained knowledge on which map would work best for the message I am trying to convey and how I could use maps to express ideas.  This gave me a new platform for organization in personal thought and academic work.  I was able to change the color, input text, and change the shapes from the given template. This made me more aware of the feature in Word and how limitless the options are. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Briana! I know many teachers who use Quizlet. It is a fun way to keep students engaged and it helps teachers know what the students do/don't understand.

    ReplyDelete